How parents get resolve visitation issues

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Custody on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

Typically, a court will allow noncustodial parents in Illinois to see their children after a divorce. In some cases, a judge will order that visitation happen under the supervision of another person or occur in a public place. In some cases, visitation rights are granted under the condition that a parent seek help for an anger, substance abuse or other type of problem.

Ideally, a parent will comply with such an order as quickly as possible. Doing so shows the court that a mother or father is willing to do whatever it takes to be in the child’s life. When creating any sort of visitation order, a court will determine what is in the kid’s best interest. In most cases, anger or other issues will be seen as a threat to a son or daughter’s safety.

Even if a parent is denied visitation, it is important to continue to make child support payments. These are often seen as separate issues that need to be addressed through separate processes. Failing to pay child support as ordered for any reason may result in an inability to get a passport or driver’s license. Depending on the circumstances of a case, failing to pay child support could result in jail time.

Those who are seeking more parenting time may need to convince a judge to allow that to happen. An attorney may be able to provide evidence that a parent is not a danger to a child. Evidence could include the completion of a drug rehab program or a similar program to help resolve an emotional issue. It might also include statements from the child or others who say that the parent is not a danger to his or her child.

Related Posts

What Are Common Prenup Myths?

Prenuptial agreements are made before a couple gets married, and they are then enforceable once the couple is married. Many people have misconceptions about prenuptial

Read More